[mythtv-users] MythFrontend only suspend mode options...

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Sat Jan 10 13:50:59 UTC 2015

On 10/01/2015 8:13 PM, Raymond Boettcher wrote:
> I just wanted to get an opinion on this topic from a few users in the
> mailing list to see what I can do about this.
>
> So lets start....   I have read article after article about putting
> the backend to sleep after the frontend goes into idle mode. From what
> I understand this is handled by the MythWecome program which launches
> Mythfrontend.  This worries me because I don't want to put the backend
> to sleep.  The backend hosts the internet as a router on the network,
> runs Asterisk PBX for the phone switch and a few other functions that
> are outside the control of MythTV.  I just want to put the frontend to
> sleep after a specified time of no activity.
I found MythWelcome to be almost useless for my use case, as when I
configured my frontends to shutdown automatically when not in use, I
found it odd that in order for MythWelcome to shutdown/suspend the
machine, you had to physically exit the frontend.  This may have
changed, I am not sure.

I used the "Frontend Control Socket
<https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/frontend_control_socket>" to query what the
frontend was doing, combined with xscreensaver to determine when to
shutdown/suspend the system. Not sure if you can query if its playing
music outside of MythMusic.

ie:  When xscreensaver has blanked the screen for X minutes, and the
Frontend is not using MythBrowser or in MythMusic then its ok to shutdown.