[mythtv-users] Mythbrowser and youtube - help please

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 9 08:50:50 UTC 2015

I am surely missing the blindingly obvious here but I can't see it,  so if
some-one could kindly point it out to me it would be greatly appreciated.

I have installed MythNetVision and MythBrowser so I can watch the occasional
youtube clip. Installation all appears to have worked fine.

However playback of clips is truly awful, in the realms of 1-2fps or so and
no audio. Responsiveness of the frontend also completely drops away, can
take several seconds to exit. I tried both the menu key (m) and right
clicking (I can't see a cursor but assume it is there somewhere) but nothing
happens. I have a Zotac ZBox ID41 which I thought would have been good
enough to software decode / display most things if the hardware decode /
acceleration was not enabled but on the assumption that it is not I tried to
change the browser to Chrome / Chromium / Firefox. However no matter what
command option I put in there it won't open up the URL, Chrome and Chromium
just opens up whatever the default start page is each time (albeit in the
correct browser). Firefox says it can't find the URL provided (starting with
mythflash://....)

So two questions:
1) what do I need to do to troubleshoot the internal browser? How can I
determine if it is a hardware / software decode / acceleration or something
else? Is it Flash? How do I tell?
2) how to I get Chrome / Chromium / Firefox to open the URL passed to it?
/usr/bin/firefox %URL% as an example will open a firefox window, just not
the URL. Google-chrome --app=%URL% just goes to the generic google start
page.

Note, all three browsers tried seem to play back the clips with no problems
when started outside mythtv. I've not tweaked any of them, as far as I can
recall they are just their out-of-the-box defaults.

Also, when using the internal browser top shows mythfrontend at 110% and
xorg around 70%.

Thanks in advance for assistance.

MythTV Version : v0.27.1-7-g41d04b6
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
Network Protocol : 77
Library API : 0.27.20140520-1
QT Version : 4.8.4
Options compiled in:
 linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend
using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu
using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc
using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript
using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
using_profiletype using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi using_vdpau
using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2