[mythtv-users] Long jump from 0.21 to 0.27.4 , mostly OK except audio !!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 8 18:00:55 UTC 2015

On 01/07/2015 08:03 AM, Sholla wrote:
> I am doing a long jump from 0.21 to 0.27.4 on a fairly new system
> with pvr-350 and the set top box.
>
> Compiled the mythtv from the git sources and installed it. From this
> mailing list, understood that the myth database cannot be imported.

Not directly, but you can install 0.22 - 0.24 and run mythtv-setup to
upgrade your 0.21 database, then install 0.27.4 and let it upgrade your
database to current.  That said, there's likely data corruption in your
database (due to more-recent-than-MythTV-0.21 changes to MySQL defaults
which aren't compatible with MythTV 0.21 database usage), so whether
it's worth the (at least) 2-step process (several more (and more
complicated) steps if you have to fix data corruption) to maintain your
history is up to you.

Alternatively, you can continue your current approach (setting up a new
database) and take any unwatched (or archived, if you keep watched
shows) shows from your 0.21 system and put them in Video Library
(formerly called MythVideo).  If you name your video files nicely, it
will even pull down metadata for the shows for you.  Note, too, that
naming your shows is easiest done if you "export" the data from your
0.21 system--ideally using mythlink.pl to create a directory of links
with proper naming that you can use to rename the actual video files
(simple enough with a script using readlink and mv*** or--at the expense
of time and disk writes--using cp -L (possibly followed by rm, in a loop)).

Mike

*** Though simple enough, implementation is left as an exercise for the
reader. ;)  Don't worry, though.  I'm no Fermat.