[mythtv-users] Tuners, conflicts and padding

E James e_james at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Jan 2 23:38:33 UTC 2015

On 02/01/2015 23:05, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 02/01/15 22:28, E James wrote:
>> On 01/01/2015 21:25, E James wrote:
>>> I'm running MythTV 0.27 with Lubuntu 13.10 on a shuttle DS47.
>>>
>>> Happy New Year. _______________________________________________
>>> mythtv-users mailing list
>>> mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>>> http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
>>> MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
>>>

>> Thanks to all for your comments. I'm learning all the time but sometimes the
>> learning curve is a bit too steep.
>>
>> I set up an experiment to confirm an idea. I manually scheduled 3 overlapping
>> recordings, 1 for BBC1 (multiplex 1) and 2 for UTV (multiplex 2). Everything
>> worked as specified. Apparently it is acceptable in MythTV to make 2 or more
>> simultaneous recordings of the same channel. I therefore conclude there is no
>> good reason why padding should cause conflicts with "back to back" recordings.
>> It would require a small (I think), revision of the code. Virtual tuners only
>> exist in software, so the software is already capable of sending the same stream
>> to two (or more) distinct recording files. There is a downside - if you had 3
>> channels with simultaneous "back to back" recordings, there would be a short
>> time when you could have 6 recording files open at the same time, but then six
>> virtual tuners would have exactly the same effect.
>>
>> Having reached that conclusion and, since the code is as it is, I decided to
>> reset my system to 5 virtual tuners per physical tuner. To keep things tidy I
>> deleted the 2 capture cards and then reinstated them with 5 simultaneous
>> recordings on each, and now my system is broken. Instead of the 8 virtual tuners
>> numbered 1 to 8, I now have 10 virtual tuners numbered 9 to 18. "Tuner Status"
>> says "Tuner .. has an error", "Watch TV" says "All tuners are currently busy"
>> and the scheduler says "Recorder Off-line". Obviously I did something wrong, can
>> anyone tell me what it was and how to fix it? Please!
>>
> Delete All capture cards on ALL hosts!
>
> This is the only (and recommended way) to reset the tuner numbers back to start from one.
>
> Did you reconnect the capture cards to your sources?

Thanks to you both. Yes, I did reconnect the sources. Everything looks fine now.

A further comment on padding. Apart from this most recent event, I have routinely set "back to back" recordings with acceptable padding i.e. overlapping. I think I just pushed the envelope a bit too far, hence the additional virtual tuners.