[mythtv-users] ECS LIVA as Backend / Frontend Combo: It Works!

Dave MythTV dave.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 17:25:54 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 11:06 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:

> I'll tack on my latest to this thread. My HDMI-to-Composite converter died
> (or maybe it's the power supply; either way it's dead) so I swapped out the
> old TV for an old monitor and a pair of speakers. Unfortunately it seems
> the analog (and HDMI?) audio output levels are extremely low, so I added an
> alsa pre-amp via the softvol plugin. Found a good guide here: http://blog.tpa.me.uk/2013/10/23/alsa-pre-amp-volume-boost-the-simple-explanation/
>

> Note that in order for the pre-amp to show up in alsamixer you have to
> actually play a sound (I used aplay <some wav file.wav>) Then you can open
> alsamixer and adjust the pre-amp level. I think Mythfrontend needs to be
> restarted to pick up the new configuration, and you'll probably need to
> change your audio device from 'ALSA:default:card=PCH' to just read
> 'ALSA:default' (mine threw an error about invalid device until I deleted
> the card= stuff).
>
> Karl

Another thing to check is that your Master and PCM controls are both at
reasonable levels.   The volume control in the frontend only changes one of
them (PCM by default?)...  so if the Master volume is set too low, you
won't get much output even with the volume "cranked" in the frontend.   You
might have already done this, but I'd double check those settings and crank
them way up if necessary, as you should get better sound quality without
the softvol component in the audio path.

Are your external speakers amplified?

- Dave