[mythtv-users] Time to move to an HDMI stick for FEs?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Jan 2 09:46:00 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 1:47 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Paul Kendall <pkendall64 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> I've still not received mine. How has your testing been going?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Thomas Mashos
> >>
> > I've got linux (ubuntu 14.04 and 14.10) installed and had mythtv frontend
> > running fine.
> > I used a powered hub to power the meegopad and to provide keyboard and
> mouse
> > and the USB to install from.
> >
> > The EFI on the system is only 32bit EFI so you have to build a
> bootia32.efi
> > and pop that on the USB then it boots fine.
> > You have to keep pressing "Del" to get to the firmware (bios) then go to
> the
> > "Save & Exit" and choose the USB device to boot from.
> >
> > Make sure that you don't disable USB while fiddling as some others have
> done
> > as you will be a bit stuffed! And have to wait for
> > an update from the seller.
> >
> > The only problem I have is that the sound does not work yet. I'm putting
> > windows back on it (I backed up the MMC before installing linux)
> > so I can get the ACPI device ids for the audio sub system so hopefully I
> can
> > hack up a driver fro linux.
>
> I am the aforesaid idiot who changed some bios setting, and now cannot
> do anything because the only control is via a usb keyboard and/or
> mouse. Unplugging the bios battery for over 12 hours changed nothing.
> I am hoping someone is going to send me a new bios, which can
> apparently be flashed from a usb stick. Fingers crossed.
>
> Before I screwed up so royally I was running windows 8.1 with Kodi
> (the media centre previously known as prin^h^h^h^h xbmc) running fine.
> Didn't have time to test the PVR functionality.

Many (most/all?) bios chips have a reset pin... manufacturers sometimes put
a reset jumper on the board, but they don't have to... but you can still do
the reset by shorting the pins together.  You can often find the pinout
information from the chip manufacturer or sometimes the bios maker.

I did a little research on the processor (
https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/atom/atom-z36xxx-z37xxx-datasheet-vol-1.html).
And while it appears that putting a jumper on ILB_RTC_RST# is what you need
to do, I couldn't find a pinout for the socket this processor uses, and
even if I could, I am not so confident that you could safely short the pin
even if I could.... but it may be worth more research.

One thing I did read is that a low/dead battery alarm can trigger a reset
during post (see the comments for ILB_RTC_TEST# on page 225.  Did you try
booting with the battery removed?  Also on that page they do mention a
capacitor connection for the RTC... I suspect that your reset may have
failed due to this capacitor holding power.  You can try to power on the
device several times with the power supply disconnected to discharge the
capacitors.  With the battery removed and capacitors discharged, it should
force the RTC to lose the time, and hopefully force a bios reset.  If you
power it on after pulling the battery and trying to discharge the caps the
easy way, and the time is still accurate... then you may have to manually
discharge the capacitors on the board by shorting the two pins.  Once they
are all discharged there is no way the system could maintain its time.

Good luck!