[mythtv-users] HDMI-Componet Converter/Decoder

Joe Henley joehenley at kc.rr.com
Sat Feb 28 15:51:06 UTC 2015

Dave,

We need a bit more info:  in what country are you living, what model
number of HD-PVR do you have, does your cable provider encrypt ( HDCP)
all video, and what outputs are available from the Vbox (cable type,
digital/analog,  and encrypted/unencrypted).  I'll assume you live in
the US, have a model 1212 (the "old one"), all video is fully HDCP
encrypted, and the Vbox has hdmi/encrypted and component/unencrypted.analog.

The hdmi output of your Vbox provides an encrypted digital.  The only
way to use this to record in Myth is via the Fury2 which is not allowed
(ie., illegal) in the US.  So you need to use the
component/analog/unencrypted output.  In practice, the quality of this
signal is very competitive to the pure digital.  You'll need to use
component cable connections, not s-video, between the Vbox and your
HD-PVR.  I'd also suggest you use a SPDIF connection for audio if the
Vbox supports it.

You will find tons of detail info via google:  hdcp, mythtv, hd-pvr.  Enjoy!

Joe Henley