[mythtv-users] Projector and Frontend upgrade advice

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Feb 27 08:21:07 UTC 2015

On 26 Feb 2015, at 20:29, Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:

>> As I understand:
>> BenQ W1300 has better colour accuracy straight off, supposedly a working de-interlacer (haven’t seen this in action) but is noisier and uses naff DLP link for 3D.
>>
>> DLP link gives poor black levels and some amount of (usually) red tint to blacks depending on the glasses, it flashes a big red frame to sync the glasses and a little of that lights the room up and squeaks past or around the glasses.
>>
>> Optoma HD50 has ok colour accuracy after calibration but not so good straight off, no good de-interlacer, a bit quieter and uses RF for the 3D glasses, or you can use DLP link if you really wanted.
>>
>> I very nearly bought the W1300 as it suited me well but the HD30 was quieter and had RF 3D glasses, The HD50 came along later and I believe is a slight image quality upgrade from the HD30 but I haven’t seen one. I didn’t find out about the colour accuracy until I got the HD30 and tried to calibrate, they all look over colourful in the demo room. All the recent Optomas seem to get blue slightly wrong.
>>
>> I think the W1300 will give better colour and the HD50 will give better 3D.
>>
>> How much 3D will you be watching?...
> Thanks for that summery. I have no idea how much I'll use 3D, as I've never had it! Probably not much though. It will just be an occasional treat. Probably not worth the extra £250 price tag, especially as the W1300's 3D will be the best 3D I've ever known :-)
>
> I think I'll go with the W1300. Probably ordering it tonight. Thanks so much for helping me make a decision so quickly Andre!

No problem, I think Richer Sounds have the W1300 W1500 and W1070+ available for demo if you want to see (and hear!) one, well they do at the branch near me.

Good luck with it, let me know how it does with interlaced video, my HD30 is terrible, combing everywhere. I cancelled the Sky box and stick to MythTV to de-interlace everything.

The word on the forums is that the BenQ’s have sharper lenses than the cheaper Optomas, I saw them months apart in very different demo rooms so difficult to say, my HD30 is a lot less sharp than my HD80 was but it was half the price.
I think at 75” everything will look super sharp, especially coming from SD.

Oh and do you know that MythTV can’t play 3D Bluray rips? It can play SBS (side by side) like Sky 3D transmit and the BBC have on occasion but that’s pretty naff 3D.

I use MythTV for TV recordings and a Mede8er 800X3D media player for Movies including 3D Bluray mkv rips.

Andre