[mythtv-users] AFD: Unknown audio decoding error

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 04:49:09 UTC 2015

On 27 February 2015 at 09:00, Tim Draper <veehexx at zoho.com> wrote:
> Over the last few weeks i've been having issues with my mythtv setup, where playback of content (livetv, recording or a mpg/avi file) my FE will randomly crash.
> it's tricky to reproduce as continuing to watch the file after mythfrontend crashes does not result in another one.
>
> running 'mythfrontend > fe.log' i'm seeing the following occur. sometimes it's a few times in as many minutes, other times it can be fine for 5mins and then show a decoding error.
>
> 2015-02-26 21:39:27.432033 E  AFD: Unknown audio decoding error
> 2015-02-26 21:40:33.072405 E  AFD: Unknown audio decoding error
> 2015-02-26 21:41:24.112808 E  AFD: Unknown audio decoding error
> 2015-02-26 21:41:34.414204 E  AFD: Unknown audio decoding error

this wouldn't cause a crash.
failure to decode audio when watching a live stream is nothing out of
the ordinary if you have a signal glitch or what else.

unless you provide a backtrace, not much we can do.

Run mythfrontend in a gdb session, and when it crashes, type "bt" and
create a bug with the output.

The other likely random crashes like that are due to hardware failure,
bad ram being the main culprit.