[mythtv-users] New Upnp Channel Changer Script (Dish VIP 211 users definitely read)

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Wed Feb 25 15:47:23 UTC 2015

On 2/25/15 10:33 AM, John P Poet wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 8:27 AM, Dan Wilga
> <mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
> <mailto:mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Hm. I actually wrote a script to scrape the web page listing the
>     channels offered for free, and send me an email when it changes.
>     If only that page's format was structured strictly enough that I
>     could pull out the list of channels and dates I could show/hide
>     the channels as needed. Instead, that page is obviously maintained
>     by a human who changes the structure frequently.
>

> http://www.freepreview.tv/
Thanks for pointing me to that site, but it's still not structured data.
Not only that, it seems to be crowdsourced, so it's likely to be more
out-of-date than Dish's site.

I think I need to wait until a channel I don't subscribe to is being
offered for free and see if the output from the receiver's
AuthChannels.xml feed changes. If so, I could periodically parse that
file and change the available channel list in Myth. (Thanks, Jon H., for
figuring out that this feed exists.)