[mythtv-users] New Upnp Channel Changer Script (Dish VIP 211 users definitely read)

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Wed Feb 25 14:54:52 UTC 2015

On 2/23/15 9:03 PM, Jon Heizer wrote:
> Mythtv users. I'd like to present a new channel changer script.  If
> you are a Dish VIP 211 users this will definitely work and it is
> AMAZING.  It uses ethernet to change the channels.  NO MORE IR
> BLASTERS!!  Can you tell I'm excited? :)
I'm excited, too. Now I can finally get rid of my blaster! You should
note that this script also works, unmodified with the VIP 211k.

Aside form the 4-digit HD channel issue you described, there is one
other minor drawback. I occasionally schedule things to record that
aren't currently available to me because they are on channels I don't
subscribe to. Why? Because Dish occasionally offers free preview days,
and these things often eventually get recorded.

If you use a blaster, it's very easy to tell at a glance that the
program didn't really record because the thumbnail in the Recordings
list shows the Dish error message telling you it's not a channel you
subscribe to.

Unfortunately, with your script, the receiver just ignores any attempts
to tune to an unsubscribed channel, and Myth records the
previously-tuned channel. So now the thumbnail shows something that
looks like a TV show, even though it's not the right one.

Ideally, there would be some way for the channel change script to tell
Myth, "I can't tune that" and have the recording marked as "failed".
Looking at the Myth source code, I don't think it does anything with the
script return value, so I guess there's nothing to be done in this regard.

Anyway, thanks for the great script.