[mythtv-users] Projector and Frontend upgrade advice

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 11:30:32 UTC 2015

On 25/02/2015 11:20, Andre Newman wrote:
> On 24 Feb 2015, at 23:05, Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> *Projector*
>>
>> My old SD projector has finally bit the dust and I'm looking for a HD replacement. I have not been keeping up with the development of 'home 3D' projectors, but if they are affordable, that would be nice!
>>
>> My screen space is:
>> Image height = 93cm (37")
>> Image Diagonal = 190cm (75”)
> Wow this is small for a projector!
>
> Do you have a fixed screen? If not most modern projectors will give you a much bigger image for the same throw distance.
>
>> Image width = 166cm (65")
>>
>> Throw Distance = 318cm = 10'5" = (125”)
> I have an Optoma HD30 which is a Cinemafied version of the HD25(e) ie it has an RGBRGB colour wheel for accurate colour rather than a  CMYRBG or similar wheel for extra bright but washed out colours for presentations etc.
>
> There are lots of interesting budget DLPs around, I’m assuming you are still wanting DLP as you mentioned 3D, while the LCD,LCOS, etc projectors _can_ do 3D they really can’t keep up properly. If you want good 3D and good sports or other live TV then you need to stick with DLP.
>
> Worth a look IMO:
>
> BenQ W1070, W1070+
> BenQ W1300, W1400
>
> Optoma HD50, HD36
> The Optoma HD30 I have is still around but I think the newer HD50 is better.
>
> LG PF87k	(dodgy lens, not quite bright enough for 3D at 100” but good price for LED)
> LG PF1500 	(not quite out yet but very interesting LED projector)
>
> Definitely want the RF 3D glasses, if you get an Optoma, very good separation and sync. If you go with BenQ you have to have DLP link so go scour avsforums for the best ones to buy, there’s a massive difference.
>
>> And from an online projector calculator that I looked at a while ago, I believe that the following two values are also correct ….
>>
>> Throw Ratio = 1.69 - 1.96
>> Zoom ratio = 1.1
>>
>> Any budget projector tips?
>>
>> I'm upgrading from a BenQ W100 (480p) projector, so I'm sure that anything will seem significantly good.
>>

>> *Frontend*
>>
>> As I'm upgrading my projector, I'm also thinking of changing the frontend machine that's attached to it. It's currently an old tank of a machine in the garage. I'd love to replace it with something like a Raspberry Pi, but I believe they are not up to the task of a MythTV frontend. Any other budget suggestions?
> Depending on what you watch very few projectors will de-interlace well (Benq W1300 only one I know that’s supposed to be ok) if you are watching any live TV, sports, news etc. If the display can’t de-interlace then the frontend _has_ to do it, a RaPi hasn’t got a hope, you need a small PC with an Nvidia 430 or better or 620 or better.

> [...]
Thanks for all of this information Andre! I thought that the entire
thread had moved on to discussing cars fro some reason.

The room and screen are relatively small. The projection wall is limited
due to it being triangular (because of hole in wall underneath
staircase). The screen size feels substantial in the room though, so
we're happy with it if we can find the right projector that can deliver
a screen small enough.

I'll go through all of your suggestions when I get some time later on.

Thanks again,
Damian