[mythtv-users] Projector and Frontend upgrade advice

Alan Walls Alan_Walls at trimble.com
Tue Feb 24 22:48:29 UTC 2015

See http://www.projectorcentral.com/ for lots of reviews and information

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Damian
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 3:05 PM
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org >> Discussion about mythtv
Subject: [mythtv-users] Projector and Frontend upgrade advice

Hello all,

*Projector*

My old SD projector has finally bit the dust and I'm looking for a HD replacement. I have not been keeping up with the development of 'home 3D' projectors, but if they are affordable, that would be nice!

My screen space is:
Image height = 93cm (37")
Image Diagonal = 190cm (75")
Image width = 166cm (65")

Throw Distance = 318cm = 10'5" = (125")

And from an online projector calculator that I looked at a while ago, I believe that the following two values are also correct ....

Throw Ratio = 1.69 - 1.96
Zoom ratio = 1.1

Any budget projector tips?

I'm upgrading from a BenQ W100 (480p) projector, so I'm sure that anything will seem significantly good.

*Frontend*

As I'm upgrading my projector, I'm also thinking of changing the
frontend machine that's attached to it. It's currently an old tank of a
machine in the garage. I'd love to replace it with something like a
Raspberry Pi, but I believe they are not up to the task of a MythTV
frontend. Any other budget suggestions?

I sould also mention that I use MythBuntu on my Backend and frontend
machines, in case that's relevant.

Regards,
Damian