[mythtv-users] UPS with mythbuntu

marcus hall marcus at tuells.org
Tue Feb 24 18:01:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 05:41:06PM +0000, Mike Perkins wrote:
> Once the service is run you can define time delays etc before each system
> shuts itself down and the command or script to run at that time. I have a
> 400VA model and draw about 180 VA; that allows about 12 minutes of battery
> life. I set the shutdown scripts for about 4~5 minutes.

One final nit to consider is that the UPS needs to be told that the CPU is
committed to shutting down.  This covers the window where power is restored
just after the CPU decides to shut down, and the UPS thinks that all is
good with the world and everything is stable, but the CPU has shut down with
nothing to wake it back up again..

The UPS should be able to be informed that it should cut power after XX
minutes, then restore power whenever the mains come back up.  Then, it will
ensure that the system will start up again, even if the power comes back
a little early.

marcus hall
marcus at tuells.org