[mythtv-users] New Upnp Channel Changer Script (Dish VIP 211 users definitely read)

Jon Heizer jheizer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 02:03:02 UTC 2015

Mythtv users. I'd like to present a new channel changer script.  If you are
a Dish VIP 211 users this will definitely work and it is AMAZING.  It uses
ethernet to change the channels.  NO MORE IR BLASTERS!!  Can you tell I'm
excited? :)

Basically a few weeks ago I randomly plugged my STB into the network for
the first time in years.  Being the curious type I did port scans and
such.  There was now a Upnp port open with control abilities.

Benefits over lirc scripts:
 - No LIRC
 - Super fast.  Live tv is ~ 5 seconds to change now.  Even faster on first
start up.
 - No more idling out to the screen saver after 4 hours.  I disable it.
 - No LIRC

The one Negative: our VIP 211 receivers are smart enough to use the same
guide number for both HD when available and SD when not.  Sadly, the upnp
interface is not and it displays the SD feed.  You must update your channel
data to use the super high number channels.  A bit of a pain I'll admit,
but I can't imagine going back now.

I've been using this on my production system for about 3 weeks now on 2
receivers and have not had a single issue.

You can find the script at https://github.com/jheizer/UPnPChannelChanger
 and I'll be updating that page this evening with instructions for people
using a different STB with steps to detect Upnp and instructions to modify
the script.

Enjoy,

Jon