[mythtv-users] cannot restore database

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 22 23:55:35 UTC 2015

On 22 February 2015 at 09:08, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Coming back to you having /var/var/log and you finding an ancient
> file in /var/lib/mysql/mythconverg.

Yeah, it's weird and slightly annoying but I'm not terribly worried about
that.

> My guess is that you somehow have in the past moved your /var
> directory up

Probably right: I imagine I must have done that when I was trying to rescue
the drive that then turned out to have a physical fault (a bad idea, in
retrospect, if I had suspected that that was the problem). I then copied
the whole file system, as far as I could, to a new drive, which is what we
see now. Shortly afterwards, the old drive died completely.

and that your had a mysql directory in
> /var/var/lib/mysql. This totally confusing your system!

Probably wrong. I don't think anything points there. It's just a place
where there's a snapshot of the old /var.

> What are the dates of the files that occur both in /var/... and
> /var/var/... It would give you an indication about when things started
> to go wrong.

The dates seem to confirm the hypothesis that I made the copy while
attempting to rescue those read errors.

To prove that the system is far from being "totally confused", I have now
renamed /var/var to /var/unused-var-probably-a-copy. Stuff still seems to
work. If nothing chokes after a while, I'll delete it.