[mythtv-users] Adding Videos to 'Watch Recordings'

Andy mizeraka at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 21:16:17 UTC 2015

> [...]
>>
>>I have considered adding them to 'Watch Videos' (and I know that this is the only "official" way to add videos to mythtv), however I have them preserved in .mpg format and they are in the weird format that mythtv uses (i.e. 1527_20141219073000.mpg), so I can't tell what they are... of course -mythlink doesn't work because that only pulls the information from the MySQL database, and I would have to reinsert all of the old videos back, which is a pain to do and doesn't seem to work properly.  And even if I use mythlink, it doesn't seem like my system is skipping commercials when I watch a linked file out of 'Watch Videos'.
>>
>>So my questions are:
>>1. Can I use/modify the mythlink script to get human readable file names for videos not in the MySQL mythconverg database?
>>2. Can I use mythcommflag on any video I want, or will it only work on recorded videos or videos in the MySQL mythconverg database?
>>3. Will flagged commercials be skipped when watching videos under 'Watch Videos' or only under 'Watch Recordings'?
>>4. Will flagged commercials be skipped when watching files created from the mythlink script under 'Watch Videos'?
>>5. Is there any easy way to insert a file into the MySQL database (I've been using Webmin to edit the database)?
>>
>>Just so you know my system information is:
>>BE only on ubuntu-server 14.04 with mythtv 0.27
>>3 FEs on mythbuntu 14.04 with mythtv 0.27
>>1 FE on ubuntu-desktop 14.04 with mythtv 0.27
>>
>>Thanks for any guidance,
>>Andy M.
>
>For future occasions, if you want to backup recordings temporarily,
>you can just move the recording file and leave the data in the
>database as an orphaned recording.  Or you can take a look at the
>mythexport, which has the ability to export all the SQL required along
>with a recording.  Note that restoring something using mythimport will
>only work if the database version is the same, but it is always
>possible to install a matching MythTV version in a virtual machine,
>restore using mythimport, then upgrade the virtual MythTV to the
>current database version and export again using mythexport.
>
>If the backup drive you are using for recordings is on another machine
>on your network, you also have the option to create a storagegroup
>with a directory that is accessible on that machine across your
>network.  If you make a new storagegroup rather than adding things to
>the Default storagegroup, mythbackend will not record to it unless you
>explicitly set a recording rule to use the new storagegroup.  But it
>will find the files and be able to play them for you, presuming that
>your network has enough bandwidth to play them (and a 100 Mbit

So thank you for the information.  Unfortunately, I have already gone down a different path, and your suggestions are a non-viable solution to the questions I asked.  I have already backed up the database on my old machine (after I had removed the recordings, but saved the files) and restored it onto the new machine.  So I'm left wondering:
>>1. Can I use/modify the mythlink script to get human readable file names for videos not in the MySQL mythconverg database?
>>2. Can I use mythcommflag on any video I want, or will it only work on recorded videos or videos in the MySQL mythconverg database?
>>3. Will flagged commercials be skipped when watching videos under 'Watch Videos' or only under 'Watch Recordings'?
>>4. Will flagged commercials be skipped when watching files created from the mythlink script under 'Watch Videos'?
>>5. Is there any easy way to insert a file into the MySQL database (I've been using Webmin to edit the database)?

Thanks.