[mythtv-users] NTSC, ATSC, QAM & device clarifications

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Fri Feb 20 23:24:34 UTC 2015

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> Yes, and really the question you'd like to ask is really "For how long
> will you promise that these channels won't be encrypted in the
> future?".  The answer to that question is likely to be measured in
> nanoseconds.

My working assumption has been that it's going to happen shortly after the
transition to all-digital--like maybe within a year's time. I recently
discovered that some of the basic-tier stations that have gone digital
already require some special TWC-provided device to view (what they
euphemistically refer to in generic-sounding terms as "two-way compatible
digital cable ready equipment"). The weather channel, if memory serves, is
one example. One of my misgivings as I consider this upgrade: part of the
cost will seem to have been in vain, once the encryption kicks in. I'm not
renting any equipment from them, so I'll be going all OTA if/when the
"final solution" is implemented.