[mythtv-users] NTSC, ATSC, QAM & device clarifications

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Fri Feb 20 21:50:45 UTC 2015

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> There are some hybrid devices that do both analog and digital, but I'd
> advise you not to even think about them.  Just go all digital.
>
> Since this is Time-Warner, you should first verify that it's clear QAM
> and not encrypted QAM.  TW is one of the most MythTV hostile providers
> out there.  They don't like to make things easy.

Thanks for the input, Eric. I believe this is clear QAM for the following
reason: there is an LCD TV in a public part of the building that gets the
same low-tier service the rest of the building does. It has no set-top box
or other TWC decryption device hooked to it, yet it gets all the same
stations I do (actually a few more, since it obviously has a built-in
digital tuner and can therefore tune in stations I've lost during the
transition). I suppose putting in a call to TWC might help, but the people
you reach there are usually so clueless that, with a question like this,
it is liable to become an exercise in frustration management.