[mythtv-users] recommendations?: energy efficient FE/BE system

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 18:53:57 UTC 2015

Hoi James,

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2015, Hika van den Hoven wrote:

>> I don't know how powerful those devices are, but I do all my
>> transcoding on my normal (6 core athlon) desktop machine even though
>> my backend (dual core) could probably do it too. I can with no problem
>> do 4 transcodings at the same time and stil work uninterrupted.
>> Just have a slave backend running on the machine you want to use for
>> transcoding and disable transcoding on the master.

> Thanks for your reply, Hika. It sounds like you're describing a scenario
> where the front and back ends are separated, right? If so, I'd like to
> keep the combination FE/BE set-up I have, which is why I was asking about
> whether the ECS hardware would be up to the task of rescaling while
> simultaneously recording. It seems possible it might be, since the ECS
> system Dave described was said to be a combination FE/BE, like mine. Just
> was hoping to get a clarification from him (or someone else) on that
> before looking further into this option.

Yes, mine are separated, but also when combined you can delegate tasks
to a slave backend, on a computer that you normally use for other
things. That's the nice thing of how mythtv is set up and the fact
that all your computers are linked through the network. You could have
six backends and only one frontend on one of those backends or only
one combined one etc., etc.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven