[mythtv-users] recommendations?: energy efficient FE/BE system

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 17:52:47 UTC 2015

Hoi James,

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2015, Dave MythTV wrote:

>> One thing I would suggest is don't be afraid to build something radically
>> different from what you have now.   :-)
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> For example, I've been very happy with my HD FE/BE combo running on an ECS
>> Liva.  It's about the size of a large bar of soap, and everything is built
>> in including wifi, ethernet, sound, RAM, and SSD. The N2807 SoC has a TDP
>> of just 4.3 watts, is completely fanless, and has no problem handling the
>> broadcast ATSC content.  I bought mine when they were $109, have seen them
>> as low as $99, and I believe they are at $118 right now.    With that kind
>> of capability available, you might find that "building" OR buying a
>> tradition computer with a modular motherboard, cpu, power supply, etc,...
>> it just doesn't make sense anymore unless you want advanced deinterlacing
>> or need your HTPC to do other functions beyond DVR duty.   Or if you want
>> it all in the same case - not the external USB attachments I have for my
>> hard drive, IR receiver, and tuners.
>>
>> You might consider switching your storage strategy as well.  With SoCs
>> using so little power for the computing portion, your spinning hard drives
>> will quickly become the most power-hungry part of the build.  I've been
>> running the smaller 2.5" notebook hard drives for years...  and 2TB
>> capacity notebook drives are less than $90 now.     For noise and power
>> usage, a single 2.5" drive will be much better than an array of multiple
>> 3.5" drives.
>>

>> These HTPCs are not one-size-fits-all, so you'll have to buy or build what
>> makes sense for you and your needs.

> Thanks for your input, Dave--this is an interesting option. I guess I'd
> wonder whether, for my scenario, such a system would suffice. My
> uncertainty arises from the fact that, although I'm indifferent to HD
> video, I do get some (OTA) programming in HD. That content has to be
> somehow downgraded (not sure what the technical term is here), as I
> understand it, so as to display properly on my 720p monitor. On a device
> like the ECS, it looks to me like that downgrading would have to be done
> by the CPU, which might get overwhelmed--especially so if another program
> needed to be recorded at the same time as an HD recording was being
> viewed. Your thoughts on that scenario and whether this hardware would be
> up to it?

I don't know how powerful those devices are, but I do all my
transcoding on my normal (6 core athlon) desktop machine even though
my backend (dual core) could probably do it too. I can with no problem
do 4 transcodings at the same time and stil work uninterrupted.
Just have a slave backend running on the machine you want to use for
transcoding and disable transcoding on the master.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop