[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD PVR

Marius Schrecker marius.schrecker at lyse.net
Fri Feb 20 07:08:38 UTC 2015

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------

On Thursday, February 19, 2015 22:30 CET, "Dave Pearson (Lists)" <lists at the-pearsons.co.uk> wrote:
  RE: [mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD PVR

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 3:29 PM, Dave Pearson (Lists) <lists at the-pearsons.co.uk> wrote: I'm thinking of swapping my raging PVR250 card(s) for a Hauppauge HD PVR, but am a little concerned about getting the correct model.

I want to be able to connect my Virgin Media V-Plus box to it, so I seem to have a choice of the older HD-PVR, which will take, I think, a composite connection or the newer HD PVR2, which will take an HDMI connection.
Note, it takes an *UNENCRYPTED* HDMI connection.  There's no support for HDCP like you'll find on nearly all STB's.

I have been using a HD PVR 1212 (older model) with with a HDFury2 (HDMI to composite converter) for many years now without problems. You may also need a HDMI splitter before the HDFury2 if your STB only has one HDMI output.  I believe HDCP decryption was dropped from later models of the HDFURY, so make sure you get one that decrypts.
Of the two, the older HD -PVR would seem to be the best supported,That's an understatement.
but there do seem to be different models numbers in each HD-PVR range. There are very slight differences in the accessories and extras.  (e.g. the Canadian model also comes with a manual in French which is not included in the US version.)  Of course, this makes no difference for MythTV. If you go with any of the square boxy units with straight sides, you'll be fine.  The new one with pinched sides and the HDMI input is incompatible. Eric

 Thanks Eric,

Looks like I'll be looking on e-bay for a decent original model HD PVR.

Regards,
Dave.