[mythtv-users] recommendations?: energy efficient FE/BE system

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Feb 18 21:50:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Mike Hodson <mystica at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2015 2:17 PM, "Eric Sharkey" <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>> > pre-built box:
>> > http://www.logicsupply.com/computers/hardware-line/commercial/mc600b-10/
>> The description says it has room for eight disks, but looking at the
>> outside, I just can't imagine how that's possible.  Are most of the
>> bays limited to 2.5 inch drives or something?
>>
>> Eric
> __
>
> Looking at their configurator on the same page, the listing of only 2.5"
> drives as options, indeed seems to imply this. Their specs also indicate
> both can be used; I would imagine 8 is best-case.

Even the custom configurator only has 2.5" drives and will only let
you configure at most two of them.  2x2.5" drives really isn't enough
for a backend in my opinion.

I had a few "HTPC" case type units, but I kept outgrowing them.  For a
backend, I recommend a full size case unless you're really short on
space.  (e.g. you live in a submarine)  Otherwise, you can get a lot
more drive bays for a lot less money and you can put the same low
power motherboard/processor in a larger case, using larger fans that
move the same air but can do it with lower RPM's and thus be a lot
quieter.

Eric