[mythtv-users] recovery of files and filenames from ext4 partition

Yann Lehmann aristide at vtxmail.ch
Tue Feb 17 15:07:34 UTC 2015

Am 17.02.2015 um 14:45 schrieb John Pilkington:

> Hmm:  yesterday I cleared a small directory with rm *.  Today, having
> cd-ed to a recordings directory, I pressed 'Return'.  Guess what...
>
> It's an xfs partition, default for el7 clones, and TestDisk doesn't say
> it does that.  I thought hxtools might be worth a try, but the rpm is a
> cut-down version that doesn't include xfs_irepair. Looks as if it would
> be an 'interesting' learning experience, anyway.  I suspect I'm going to
> be saying 'it's only tv' too.  Lots and lots of DVDs to watch, and books
> to read...   and recent large commits to master to try.

It happened to me too sometimes ago (wanted to delete files with spaces
in their name and "simply" added a '*' somewhere in the command...) and
I was able to recover almost every one of the deleted files with a
utility running under Windows.

Unfortunately, I can't remember which utility it was, but you can find
several on google.

You may try Photorec, which also runs under Linux and claims not be
limited by the file system type.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec