[mythtv-users] Open Radeon drivers with cloned displays, or proprietary drivers with Mythtv?

PlainFaceBoy plainfaceboy at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 15 23:25:05 UTC 2015

The proprietary radeon drivers work ok for me in that I can use my HDMI and
VGA screens cloned at 1280x768, and I can adjust the overscan on the HDMI  -
using the Catalyst control centre. Card is a HD 7750.

Big problem is though, I can't get into my Mythtv set up menus - front end
(some eg video playback) or back end set up.
See my previous post - "Mythtv - backend set up, and some frontend menus not
working (with Radeon 7750)". I select them, but nothing happens, but I can
escape out back to the menu.

My two options seem to be get the mythtv menus to work with the proprietary
drivers?

Or go back to the open drivers.
I know these work ok with mythtv, as I removed the proprietary drivers and
it was ok....
But, can anyone help me set these up so I can use two cloned 'displays'
(both on same TV - VGA and HDMI).
Cloning only works with resolutions common to both - highest is 640x480, so
not really much good.
HDMI is always off the edge of the screen as well, but there's no option to
adjust overscan?
With the proprietary drivers and the catalyst control centre I could adjust
these, and  I had other options for resolutions for both eg 1280x768 - but
these doesn't exist in the display settings with the open driver.
I tried creating a xorg.conf file and editing that, but that didn't work out
well :-/

Can anyone help?