[mythtv-users] Parental Controls -- Time of Viewing

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Feb 12 15:42:17 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 10:40:49PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 3:46 PM, George Galt <george.galt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > All:
> >
> > I've searched the wiki and the archives, but I can't seem to find how to
> > accomplish my goal.  My goal is to prohibit viewing of recorded programs and
> > videos during certain hours.  My problem is my son is waking up early (about
> > 4:00 a.m.) and has discovered he can watch MythTV.
>

> Your house, your rules, but I will offer that attempting to use
> technical controls to try to enforce behavior is the wrong way
> to do it.  Eventually (maybe not even eventually) individuals (or
> their friends, or their friends friends) learn the ways to bypass
> the technical controls, and think of themselves as special.
> If one's goal is to encourage learning, problem solving, and
> hacking, then adding in technical controls (increasing in
> difficulty over time) might be a good plan.  But if the goal
> is to actually change the actions, I would suggest that
> defining the desired and expected behavior, defining the
> consequences of not following that behavior, and then
> follow-through is a better training and learning approach.

    Yes, what he said. I wanted to say the same thing but he said
it much better than I would have. Set boundaries. Define consequences.
Follow through.

    I've done this with my MythTV system and my wee one.

[deletia]

    Something else to consider is the possibility of auditing. This
relates to my own personal feature changes. If you track what is being
watched then you can do some nice things with "per directory" bookmarks.

    The data to support that also can allow you to know what was watched
at what time and on what frontend. It can be a nice bit of personal spyware.