[mythtv-users] Parental Controls -- Time of Viewing

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 22:22:32 UTC 2015

Alistair Grant <akgrant0710 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I was thinking more in the line of stopping and starting the backend
>>> service on a cronjob. If there is no backend running he can boot-up
>>> any frontend, but he won't get anything!
>>
>> Or more strait forward, but easier to hack, put a timeclock on the
>> powerfeed to the frontend machine.
>
> Or wrap the frontend start-up in a script that won't start within the
> banned hours.  If the frontend is normally running, have a cron job
> kill it during the banned hours.

What we don't know, but I'm assuming, is that the frontend isn't one dedicated to the children's use. So just a blanket block on use during certain hours would also stop the adults using it.

Perhaps a variation on "set/clear the PIN by Cron job" might be to hack the code where the PIN is checked so it returns "OK" during normal hours, but carries on and checks the PIN during "night" hours.