[mythtv-users] MythTV on Raspberry PI 2...

Raymond Boettcher raymondboettcher at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 02:57:18 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Anthony Giggins
<seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:

> On 5 February 2015 at 00:47, John Marshall <mythtv at marshallparty.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> OpenELEC XBMC with HDHomeRun Prime on the Original Raspberry Pi
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKpqmkpkyOA
>>> XBMC, in the last video, shows proof of concept.  In that video they are
>>> accessing the HDHomerun Live and not with a recorded show.  XBMC has no
>>> recording ability, however it does have a layer that can handle access
>>> to PVR Software (Mythbackend being one of them).  However, you still
>>> need Mythfrontend if you want to adjust schedules, delete recordings,
>>> etc.
>>

>> I don't think it supports all of Myth's scheduling abilities/variants, but
>> Kodi/XBMC can schedule and delete recordings.  You can watch recorded
>> programs or live tv (with EPG/tv guide).  It's pretty complete at this
>> point, though for TV, recordings, and schedules I still prefer MythFrontend.
>>

> Although I cant remember the last time I've looked at schedules or recorded
> something from the frontend, I pretty much utilise mythweb souly for this
> purpose.

Ditto.

> but yes mythfrontend is great for recordings.
>
> Anthony

I thought about looking into the Web Interface for MythTV.  The last time I looked at it, all it displayed was MythTV status information.  The UI was still pretty useless.  Considering upgrading MythTV in my house is quite a day worth of project, I don't push updates very often.  My last update was from 0.23.1+fixes to 0.26+fixes.  I think I was on 0.23 when I looked at it last.  I have 4 machines in total that run MythTV throughout my house and upgrading one means upgrading all of them.  Since I do this by source code in Slackware 13.1, the underlined upgrade takes quite a bit of time.
I also have to consider if the latest version of MythTV will compile with GCC 4.4.4...  If it does not, then I have to consider a Distro Upgrade from Slackware 13.1 to 14.1 which runs GCC 4.8.2.  This easily takes the process from 1 day to 3 days worth of work.  For the client machines, this isn't to painful.  Install Slackware 14.1, compile MythTV, compile emulators, create custom .xsession file to start MythTV from KDM.  The server is quite a bit more painful...  It runs several services, including a RAID Array, Web Server, Squid Proxy, MediaTomb Server, Samba Services, Asterisk PBX for VOIP Phone Service in my house, etc.  Upgrading the server usually takes 2 days and then 1-2 weeks to iron out any settings issues with the various services, etc.
Unfortunately, with the new changes to Schedules Direct, I need to consider an upgrade soon.  If MythTV 0.27.4 doesn't compile with GCC 4.4.4, then I may have to consider patching mythfilldatabase with the new download URL and then rebuilding it so I can get by for now until I have the time to do a system wide upgrade.  In the meantime, I haven't had any issues with mythfilldatabase using its original download URL (yet)...  Cross fingers....