[mythtv-users] PCIe analog capture card recommendations

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Tue Feb 10 21:34:35 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Stephen Baker <stephen at wildwood.baker.org>
wrote:

>  On Tue, 2015-02-10 at 11:00 -0800, Karl Newman wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>

>  It appears that one of the tuners/encoders of my (9 year old!) PVR-500
> has given up the ghost (recordings are all 0 byte). I could replace it with
> an eBay version, but given that those are going to be a similar vintage,
> and the fact that I had to search around for a MB with PCI slots last time
> I upgraded, I want to go to PCIe for better compatibility. I only need
> analog SD capture. I can't use digital at all--cable has been encrypted for
> years and I'd probably need about a 300 foot mast to pick up any ATSC
> broadcasts. I don't need any IR support. I noticed the HVR-2250 was listed
> on the Wiki, and it looks like this supports dual analog capture which
> appeals to me as a complete replacement for my PVR-500 (who knows how much
> longer the other tuner/encoder will last). So, anybody using this card for
> analog? Or any other suggestions for cards (stability is the utmost
> concern). Ideally it will support tuning RF NTSC that my DTA box is putting
> out, because I don't know if that part is still working on the PVR-500 (the
> functional tuner is using composite+stereo). I could use a single tuner
> card as long as I can continue to use my PVR-500 as well (I know about
> stable device naming with udev).
>

>  On a related note, I'll need to get a new case to accommodate this card.
> I'm currently using a low profile Silverstone LC-11M with a PCI riser card
> that turns the cards sideways. I no longer have the height constraints that
> I did when I bought that case, so my options are a lot broader. Silverstone
> or Antec or ??? Just looking for something black/dark that will blend in to
> the living room. Doesn't necessarily need a LCD display--I hardly look at
> it now--but it would be nice I guess. Needs to accommodate a microATX
> board, 3x 3.5 inch HDDs and a BluRay drive. My current case is relatively
> noisy with fans but it doesn't really bother us much, however quieter is
> always better.
>

>  This failure is actually not all bad--it was overdue for a replacement,
> it's still partly functional (I was surprised I didn't have more conflicts
> when I removed the bad tuner) and this will get me on a path to my planned
> future setup with a single analog card tied to the STB so we can record the
> premium channels and eventually a CableCard Ethernet tuner (*still* waiting
> on the transcoding model SiliconDust...)
>

>  Thanks,
>
> Karl
>
> Karl,
>
> I have been using the HVR-2250 for some time.  It worked fine for clear
> cable (back when Charter wasn't encrypting) and for composite from the
> STB.  Now, I use it for ATSC broadcast from the primary transmitter cluster
> and a HVR-1950 for the secondary transmitter cluster.  I also use the
> HVR-2250 to capture composite from camcorder, too.

> [...]
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your notes. From what Gary B said, it sounds like the HVR-2250
might be a little dicey right now, though, unless I can be sure to get an
older one. I wonder if there are any other dual-tuner PCIe cards? I looked
a while ago and hadn't seen *any* (somehow I missed the 2250). I'd like to
avoid USB because of the headaches I've seen on this list, particularly
with the PVR-USB, having to power cycle it, bad power bricks, etc. I guess
I could look at single tuner cards, but I haven't seen any alternate
suggestions.

Thanks,

Karl