[mythtv-users] List of recordings by disc drive -Solved

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Mon Feb 9 21:47:49 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Mike's JdJ <stepsisters at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 02/09/2015 12:53 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
>
>> On 02/08/2015 10:48 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>

>> Here's a script using Python bindings that can probably be adapted
>> to print what was requested (for the 1st part.)
>>
>>      http://pastebin.com/wfpBfQ19
>>

> Thanks to Mike, Hika, Stephen, and Bill for the responses.
>

> I ran Bill's report and it had the path/filename in it.  I took the output
> and imported into LibreOffice Calc.  I chose fields for the disc name and
> the timestamp portion of the file name.  I then sorted on disc and
> timestamp.  This gives me a list of titles chronologically per disc.
> Multi-step, but this is a one-time need.
>
> My goal is to use my newly-developed skills in editing and transcoding and
> go after my two 1.8 TeraByte discs that are 98% full.  My other two 1.8 TB
> discs are at 66% and 80% full.  The DBA in me says to start with the oldest
> file in the fullest disc first, then reduce the size of the next-oldest
> file, and so on.  With 1,883 recordings, this will take a while.

The general sense on this list is that it's cheaper to add storage than to
spend the electricity to transcode in order to save space. Obviously you
already have a number of disks so I'm guessing you have physical space
reasons for wanting to transcode instead of adding drives.

The mythlink.pl looks good, but do I understand correctly that it renames
> the files?  I've been staying out of SQL and avoiding changing MythTV as
> much as possible.  I had an upgrade issue in 2011 and ruined my database
> and couldn't access my old recordings.  I deleted the recordings from the
> discs and started new.

No, mythlink.pl doesn't rename files; it creates symbolic links with
meaningful names which point to the original files. You can completely
customize how the files are named, but it doesn't look like you can group
it by disk/path location or by storage group.

Karl