[mythtv-users] LIRC v ir-keytable -- Remote Control

jim jim_32766 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 8 23:47:58 UTC 2015

On 02/08/2015 05:37 PM, Another Sillyname wrote:
> Well we've got to the first stage so believe it or not that's good.
>
> It's more likely that the keycode mapping file isn't the correct one
> for your remote (I had this problem and it took me a day to realise
> and sort it out).
>
> Do you have other keycode mapping files from that remote manufacturer?
>

> On 8 February 2015 at 21:47, jim <jim_32766 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 02/08/2015 03:38 PM, Another Sillyname wrote:
>>> I used LIRC for years and just recently switched to use the Linux
>>> Kernel drivers, while it was a bit of a pain to get setup (as was LIRC
>>> originally frankly...) once working it's fairly straightforward.
>>>
>>> There is however conflicting information regarding the required
>>> location of the Remote Device files on the web.....I came to the
>>> conclusion that different distros were doing it in different
>>> ways.....anyway.
>>>
>>> If you want to try going the kernel drivers route.....
>>>
>>> Install v4l-utils (this should provide ir-keytable   - make sure it
>>> does in your distro)
>>>
>>> This 'should' setup a directory likely under
>>>
>>> /usr/lib/udev/rc_keymaps
>>>
>>> in this directory you'll find a load of mapping files for assorted
>>> different remote controls....find the one that matches your remote.
>>>
>>> make a directory (if it's not already there)
>>>
>>> /etc/rc_keymaps
>>>
>>> COPY the file you identified previously to this directory
>>>
>>> reboot
>>>
>>> login...etc....open command line terminal
>>>
>>> run (as root) ir-keytable -v -t
>>>
>>> press buttons on remote and see if you get output....
>>>
>>> GL

>> In Linux Mint the packages ir-keytable and v4l-utils are separate. I've
>> installed ir-keytable but not v4l-utils. Are both packages required?
>>
>> I don't have a /usr/lib/udev/rc_keymaps/ but I do have a /lib/rc_keymaps,
>> and many keymaps are in that directory. I've copied the one I believe is
>> correct to /etc/rc_keymaps/ as suggested. I've rebooted and run ir-keytable
>> -v -t. The number keys have a response, but they don't appear as scancode
>> and keycode, just their numeric value, e.g. pressing 1 results in a 1 on the
>> screen. Few other keys have a response.
>>
>> Something is stopping ir-keytable from showing the keycodes. I tried this
>> with MythTV running and with it shutdown; the results were the same in both
>> cases.
>>
>> Anyone else experience this problem?

Unfortunately, I don't have a map from the manufacturer and don't see
one on their website. I've sent them an email just now. Hopefully,
they'll respond with something useful.

I was hoping to get some report on scancode/keycode and build a custom
map if necessary.  Is there no utility that allows one to see the actual
scancodes from the remote? There are 120 maps in the rc_keymaps folder
and I would like to avoid trying one after another.

Thanks for your assistance!