[mythtv-users] ECS LIVA vs ECS LIVA-X

Dave MythTV dave.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 16:51:12 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr at bongohut.com> wrote:
>
>> When considering a frontend only machine, is there any reason to pay the
>> extra $50 for the ECS LIVA-X?
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856501007
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856501011
>>
>> I have the first version and I use it for watching SD MPEG-2 recordings
> over gigabit Ethernet. It has been completely satisfactory and I have no
> performance concerns about it. Others have reported success with HD
> content. There is the caveat that deinterlacing with VAAPI is not as high
> quality as what is possible using VDPAU, but personally I've never noticed
> a problem with deinterlacing. And of course, buying the Liva-X would not
> address that issue anyway.
>
> Karl

I'll second this.   I've been using the first generation LIVA (second or
later production batch with the N2807 CPU, not the first-run N2806 batch),
and it has been absolutely flawless as a combined frontend+backend with
multiple HD tuners.   So it should work great as a frontend only machine.

The LIVA vs LIVA-X comparison is interesting, as the LIVA-X is more of a
sidestep than an "upgrade".

---------------------------------

LIVA Pros:
* Smaller footprint
* 5V USB power supply (I have mine downwind of a powered USB power bank as
a full-time UPS)
* Almost all connectors are on the rear, for tidier cabling. (EVERYTHING is
on the rear if you use HDMI or USB audio.)
* Slightly lower power consumption
* Theoretically faster for single-threaded applications
* Confirmed working as a MythTV machine by several people here

LIVA Cons:
* One fewer USB ports
* Taller height
* No VESA mount
* 2GB RAM with no option for more

---------------------------------

LIVA-X Pros:
* Shorter height
* One additional USB 2.0 port
* VESA mount
* Slightly faster CPU (multi-core scores)
* 4GB RAM option (for extra $$)
* mSATA for SSD expansion (internal)

LIVA-X Cons
* Larger footprint
* Port placement makes for a messier installation (No USB ports on the
back!)
* Slightly higher power consumption
* No longer uses the 5V USB power input
* Theoretically slower for single-threaded applications
* So far untested by anyone as a MythTV machine?

---------------------------------

In my opinion, ECS sort of missed the mark with the LIVA-X.   The original
LIVA could have been made significantly shorter in height just by
rearranging the ports (there's a LOT of empty space inside)... and combine
that with a retrofit VESA mount adapter and maybe a few extra USB ports,
and it could have been a really solid upgrade.  The LIVA-X is "different",
but with enough tradeoffs for HTPC use that calling it "better" is
subjective.    They sort of did what they had to to bring it to parity
feature-wise with the NUC and BRIX...  not realizing that being
smaller/simpler (and soooo much cheaper) than those was what made the
original LIVA stand out.

- Dave