[mythtv-users] mythconverg

Mike Carron jmcarron at starstream.net
Thu Feb 5 04:02:49 UTC 2015

On 02/04/2015 01:55 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Mike Carron <jmcarron at starstream.net
> <mailto:jmcarron at starstream.net>> wrote:
>

>     On 02/04/2015 11:36 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>

>         On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 2:15 PM, Mike Hodson <mystica at gmail.com
>         <mailto:mystica at gmail.com> <mailto:mystica at gmail.com
>         <mailto:mystica at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>

>             On Feb 4, 2015 12:09 PM, "Daryl McDonald"
>         <darylangela at gmail.com <mailto:darylangela at gmail.com>
>             <mailto:darylangela at gmail.com
>         <mailto:darylangela at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>             >
>             >
>             > Thanks Mike MCC is mythbuntu control center.
>             > Can you provide more step by step details on repairing all
>             databases?
>             >
>             >

>             The reply qith MythTV's own script minutes ago by the
>         other Mike
>             would be the best place to start. I tend to look at things
>         in most
>             systems from a more low level perspective of system
>         administration
>             and was not readily aware of that script.  Good to know
>         about :)
>
>             Mike

>         Thanks Mike and Mike, I ran the "optimize_mythdb.pl
>         <http://optimize_mythdb.pl> <http://optimize_mythdb.pl>" much
>         analysing and repairing goin' on. It seems now that MCC has
>         been eradicated too, maybe a good thing because I was having
>         problems with Mythexport, so How should I verify a utile
>         database backup? Prior to this mishap I had been checking that
>         the size of each new backup was bigger than the previous, and
>         yet corruption snuck in. Should I be using "optimize_mythdb.pl
>         <http://optimize_mythdb.pl> <http://optimize_mythdb.pl>" on a
>         regular basis?   Daryl
>
>     ***
>     What I do may be overkill but...
>     I moved the mythtv-database script (that's the script that does
>     the mysql check and backs up the database) from cron.weekly to
>     cron.daily;
>     I added a line to that script to run optimize_mythdb.pl
>     <http://optimize_mythdb.pl> after the backup completes.
>     So far so good.
>

>     mike

> Thanks Mike C., now that you mention it I recall making that move too,
> and when I look at /etc/cron.daily I see optimize_mythdb.pl
> <http://optimize_mythdb.pl> in there along side mythtv_database.
> Doesn't that mean that it should already be running daily?

Yes it should be running daily. I did it the way I did as an attempt to
make sure that optimize_mythdb.pl didn't run while the backup was in
progress or vice versa. I don't know that it is the "right" way to get
the job done but it seems to work for me. I could also make an argument
for running the optimize before the backup as well as after and frankly
I'm not sure that either way is actually superior to the other.

mike