[mythtv-users] Mythtv screensaver behaviour

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 31 08:37:25 UTC 2015

On 31 December 2015 at 06:38, faginbagin <mythtv at hbuus.com> wrote:
> On 12/30/2015 7:02 AM, Another Sillyname wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Hi Lawrence,
>>> Here mythtv fails to work with mate-screensaver (fine with
>>> xscreensaver).
>>> I should try to figure out the root cause. Your script gives some
>>> insight..
>>> I recall switching to xscreensaver when gnome-screensaver stopped
>>> working as well.
>>>
>>> I've been using your playback seek recovery patch (PTS AV jiggle) for
>>> some years, the default behaviour is very annoying especially with near
>>> instant seeking.. Thanks.
>>> Brett.

>> Guys
>>
>> Sorry to be a bit anal but a number have people have posted along the
>> lines of "....xscreensaver just works.....".
>>
>> This is an imprecise statement as I'd already stated that while
>> xscreensaver screen blanking does appear to work as required the power
>> management element of it is NOT working correctly, so people posting
>> that xscreensaver "just works" may not be using power management or
>> it's settings may be either not turned on or set for such a long time
>> window that they don't 'see' the problem.
>>
>> Could users possibly try the following.....
>>
>> In xscreensaver settings
>>
>> advanced settings
>>
>> Display Power Management
>>
>> Turn on >> Power Management Enabled
>>
>> Set "Standby After" for say two minutes
>>
>> In the 'Display Modes" setting set "Blank After" for say 5 minutes
>> (any value larger then the period set in "Standby After" above works
>> here)
>>
>> exit the settings
>>
>> start mythfrontend and start playing a video and leave it running with
>> no further key presses or remote inputs
>>
>> see if the screen goes into power save mode after the period set in
>> "Standby After" even though a video is running.
>>
>> I'd be interested to hear if people are surprised to find that Power
>> Save kicks in even though a video is running.....this is not the
>> desired behaviour but is what I'm seeing.
>>
>> Tony
>>

> Hi Tony,
>
> What I have observed with DPMS (Display Power Management Signaling) is there's a timing issue with when xscreensaver enables DPMS and when mythfrontend starts. That's assuming you're using mythbuntu and have used mythbuntu control center to automatically start mythfrontend. If DPMS is disabled when mythfrontend checks the setting, you will see this in mythfrontend.log:
> ... ScreenSaverX11Private: DPMS is disabled.
> Even if DPMS is enabled a second later, mythfrontend won't know it and won't disable DPMS when it starts playback or enable it when playback stops. I work around this problem by:
> 1) disabling screen saver in the "Display Modes" tab and enabling power management in the Advanced tab.
> 2) telling mythbuntu control center NOT to automatically start mythfrontend.
> 3) creating the file $HOME/.xprofile with one line:
> [...]

Hi Helen

I don't know if you saw my OP on this thread?

My whole point/question is.....

If vlc works, as it should, without requiring any tinkering and it
also works with gnome and mate screensaver as well as xscreensaver why
doesn't mythfrontend?

Surely getting the app to work the same way as another GPL app does
shouldn't be too hard?

Regards and happy New Year.

Tony