[mythtv-users] Problem with latest run of optimize_mythdb.pl

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 01:47:50 UTC 2015

Hoi Jerome,

Thursday, December 31, 2015, 2:34:26 AM, you wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 06:55:37 PM Daryl McDonald wrote:
>> >
>> > But then I got curious about how fragmented my tables were, and after
>> looking at a couple scripts one post mentioned that mysqltuner.pl reports
>> the number of fragmented tables. I've been running it every Monday morning
>> but hadn't noticed it reporting fragmentation. My last report returned
>> >

>> > Data in InnoDB tables: 192K (Tables: 5)
>> > Data in MyISAM tables: 195M (Tables: 107)
>> > Total fragmented tables: 0
>> >
>> > so I don't need to worry.
>> >
>> > Maybe it can show whether you need to be concerned at all.
>>
>> Or used to trigger the defrag script?

> Could do, but I'd have to trust it a lot more. But even then, I'm
> starting to realize that a MythTV database isn't really ever going
> to need a lot of this level of DB optimization, unlike, say, an
> accounting system with lots of users making lots of transactions.

> I'd be curious to know just how fragmented MytTV databases ever get out there in the wild.

It depends I guess largely on the available space compared to the used
space. Other then in the recordedseek I think not often, maybe the
program and the recorded tables as those also have regular deletes.
If they are not regularly compacted (or how that is called in mysql)
they either wil stay growing out of bounds or the empty space from
deletion will be filled up, creating fragmentation.
I do not know how this is handled by both mysql and mythtv. I however
in the past have noticed that backing-up and restoring can create a
lot of new free space. So I guess the database is accumulating a lot
of 'air' through time!

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven