[mythtv-users] Plex integration

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 19:28:14 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 1:58 AM, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 11:58 PM, Larry Kennedy <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> <snip>
>>
>> I got this working a long time ago and I agree, having the shows show up
>>> in the TV section is much nicer than browsing to the MythTV "channel" in
>>> Plex. Search the archives for some tips... I went through quite a bit of
>>> wrangling to make mine work but it ended up working pretty well at the
>>> time. One important piece is that the symlinks you create don't
>>> automatically delete when the recordings go away, so Plex thinks they're
>>> still in your library and you get a lot of file not found errors.
>>>
>>> For the longest time I've been meaning to go back and hone the process,
>>> and write up something for the wiki. Somebody yell at me and maybe I'll get
>>> around to doing it.
>>>

>> MATT!  Can you write this up for the benefit of all?  :)
>>

> I use the channel too but it is a little slow to load recordings etc.
>
> I thought of simply adding the recordings directories to plex and
> authoring an 'Agent' that queried the myth services API to get the
> appropriate titles etc for the files it found in the directories.  This
> should speed up access to the files etc.  If Matt is keen, perhaps he could
> look into that too :P

If I were smart, perhaps, but I don't know how to write code. I'm just a
dumb systems guy who's more into infrastructure than ones and zeroes. I
agree though; a script that used the Myth APIs to do all this would be much
cleaner than the hacked approach I've taken.

> As an additional note, I really wish there was someway to watch in
> progress recordings with Plex.

I believe you can set up user jobs to start at the beginning of a
recording. If one had the aforementioned elegant way to push recordings to
Plex, one could probably kick off the job before a recording and then said
recording would be available in Plex before it was done recording. I assume
that because of the Plex transcoding that it wouldn't play the whole thing,
but it's a start.