[mythtv-users] Plex integration

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 19:21:46 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 6:46 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
wrote:

> On 12/07/2015 06:59 AM, Matt Emmott wrote:
>

>> One important piece is that the symlinks you create don't automatically
>> delete when the recordings go away, so Plex thinks they're still in your
>> library and you get a lot of file not found errors.
>>

> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl#Usage
> -----
> Note that when specifying |--filename| or |--chanid| and |--starttime|,
> deletion of old symlinks is suppressed. Therefore, anyone using this script
> in a user job or with the event system should still run the script
> occasionally without the |--filename| or |--chanid| and |--starttime|
> arguments to allow removal of links that referred to recordings since
> deleted. Alternatively, you may use a script triggered on "Recording
> deleted" and "Recording expired" to remove the specific link when its
> recording is removed.
> -----
>
> So, if you use the alternate option, you could have the link deleted
> immediately upon recording deletion/expiration, so that there's never a
> link to a non-existent recording.
>
> Mike

Right but the problem with that is that it recreates all the symlinks from
scratch, which creates all new timestamps. Then Plex has to reindex
everything, which takes some time (I have 4TB of recordings). More
importantly though browsing shows by most recently added doesn't work
because they all have the same file creation timestamp.