[mythtv-users] Mythtv screensaver behaviour

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Wed Dec 30 04:20:54 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-12-27 at 09:47 +0000, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-12-27 at 13:30 +1300, HP-mini wrote:
> > On Sat, 2015-12-26 at 17:49 +0100, Jonatan Lindblad wrote:

<snip>

> > That still might not be enough.. I have qtdbus enabled in master build
> > but logs show "ScreenSaverDBus: Could not connect to dbus: " etc and so
> > mate desktop screensaver does not inhibit during playback. Could this be
> > dbus namespace problem?
> >
> > The xscreensaver works correctly.
>
> I also note that on my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS based BE/FE the recent patches
> to fixes/0.27 to use the DBus based screensaver inhibit have no effect
> although the system suspend inhibit does work.  E.g.:
>
> 2015-12-27 09:24:56.479151 W  ScreenSaverDBus: Could not connect to dbus: The name org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files
> 2015-12-27 09:24:56.479690 W  ScreenSaverDBus: Could not connect to dbus: The name org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Inhibit was not provided by any .service files
> 2015-12-27 09:24:56.480211 W  ScreenSaverDBus: Could not connect to dbus: The name org.mate.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
> 2015-12-27 09:24:56.482108 I  ScreenSaverDBus: Created for DBus service: org.gnome.SessionManager
>
> I ran foul of similar problems a couple of years ago after this patch
> was added to 0.27: "5e13d41 Remove support for GNOME screensaver".
>
> I have a combined BE/FE that runs 0.27 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and has
> xscreensaver installed to display a slideshow while idle.  Prior to that
> patch I was using a wrapper around the gnome-screensaver-command that
> trapped the obsolete --poke option.  I had this
> in /usr/local/bin/gnome-screensaver-command:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> set -e
>
> Poke() {
>     dbus-send --session --dest=org.gnome.ScreenSaver --type=method_call\
>         /org/gnome/ScreenSaver org.gnome.ScreenSaver.SimulateUserActivity
> }
>
> case "${1:-}" in
>     --poke) Poke ;;
>     *) /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver-command "$@" ;;
> esac
>
> Following the removal of support for Gnome screensaver I wrote my own
> patch that replaced the "gnome-screensaver-command --poke" call with a
> call to "dbus-send...".  This restored the behaviour that you are
> seeking.
>
> If you are interested, the patch is named
> "0171-Screensaver-Add-DB-settings-for-the-detection-and-de.patch"
> and is available in my MythTV patch archive:
> http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythbuild-CURRENT.zip
>
> If necessary, you can configure the system command issued to disable the
> Gnome screensaver from 'TV settings/Playback/General Playback/
>
> HTH
>
> -- Lawrence Rust

Hi Lawrence,
Here mythtv fails to work with mate-screensaver (fine with
xscreensaver).
I should try to figure out the root cause. Your script gives some
insight..
I recall switching to xscreensaver when gnome-screensaver stopped
working as well.

I've been using your playback seek recovery patch (PTS AV jiggle) for
some years, the default behaviour is very annoying especially with near
instant seeking.. Thanks.
Brett.