[mythtv-users] Problem with latest run of optimize_mythdb.pl

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 21:29:19 UTC 2015

Hoi Mark,

>> On 29 Dec 2015, at 7:36 am, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hoi Jerome,
>>
>> Monday, December 28, 2015, 9:05:02 PM, you wrote:
>>> Just how robust is MySQL at handling a major table rewrite like
>>> this on a live database? I see it's available in 0.27.5 and I wonder
>>> if I have to alter the twice-weekly cron-and-forget way I use it now
>>> (without the defraggng) or I can just drop it in and it will play
>>> nice with an active backend that might be recording at any time of the day.
>>
>> I don't have the answer to your question, but those scripts I run at
>> night. 4:10 the backup 5:30 optimize and 5:50 my grabber starts, being
>> ready around 7. Maybe once a year or less I'm recording at those
>> times!
>> Like on every IT system, the night is for maintenance!
>>
>> Tot mails,
>>  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>>
>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>
>> De lerende Mens

> So getting OT now, but should I backup then optimize or optimize
> then backup? My cron is set so optimize runs before the backup.

I choose to backup first, which with the original crash in this topic
on optimize would be the right choice. I guess backup would be faster
and smaller though after a successful optimize, but if you run it
daily not by much. Also I think it wise to run optimize after a
restore, so ...
You however definitely have to check the duration of both, so they can
never coincide!!!

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com