[mythtv-users] audio - channel mixup with dolby 5.0 source

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 15:23:15 UTC 2015

On Dec 27, 2015 8:20 AM, "Jeremy Jones" <jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2015 3:20 AM, "Mark Perkins" <perkins1724 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Before changing mapping check current state by going (in mythfrontend)
setup - audio - select correct audio output device - test - test all. You
can see what myth thinks it is outputting to and hear where the output
actually comes from to check for mismatch.

> Myth outputs to the correct speakers when I run the test.
>
> It doesn't seem to be a mapping issue, except that this particular movie
is encoded with dolby 5.0 instead of 5.1 and Myth aparrently thinks it is
5.1. I think that is the reason for the mapping getting crossed up for
playback of this movie.

> It could be that the dvd incorrectly reports the audio stream as 5.1.
Does anyone know how to check this? If that is the case then there is
nothing in mythtv or my setup to fix, but if I could fix the mkv rip file,
it would be helpful.

I was able to fix the mkv with handbrake. It recognized the audio as ac3
5.0. I reencoded it using handbrakes setting, ffmpeg - ac3 5.1 and now myth
plays it back fine.

> If not that, then it would seem there is a problem with dolby 5.0
playback in Mythtv, and since I didn't find anything in my searches on the
subject, well, except for the bug Phil referred to, I tend to think that's
not it.

If anyone wants to me to check uo on this, then I'll be glad to do some
tests and report back. Seeing that handbrake recognized the audio was 5.0
makes me think there could be a bug somewhere in mythtv.

Thank you all,

Jeremy