[mythtv-users] Any setting in GUI to stop advert detection jobs?

Tony Gould antonyjgould+myth at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 11:17:15 UTC 2015

Roger Siddons wrote on 24/12/15 22:19:
> On 24/12/15 19:35, Tony Gould wrote:
>> thanks all. I definitely want to try that wrapper posted by Thomas,
>> as it would be great to have advert detection working again.
>
> There's also another one at
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commercial_detection_with_silences

thanks, it sounds like this one is an evolution of the ones posted by
Thomas, and therefore I should try this first?

>>     >> > Ever since I upgraded to 0.27 (from something very old like
>>     0.21),
>>     >> > the advert detection has stopped working (I'm in the UK).
>>

> Out of curiosity, could you elaborate & quantify your experience of
> comm detection on 0.21, as you imply it worked well for you ?
> ie. channels, methods used, hit rate etc.
>
> It could be an interesting data point. I'm not sure I ever tried it on
> 0.21, but I've found subsequent versions have been ineffective on
> mainstream UK TV

It's a couple of years ago that I was using it, but it worked say 70% of
the time. After the ad detection job had run I would go in and edit the
file and transcode. I think it worked poorly on Film 4 (where there are
typically a lot of trailers for films or similar at the start and end of
ad breaks), and pretty well on traditional channels (ITV, ITV2 etc). In
any case it was very helpful and I could usually edit a recording in 30
seconds or so.