[mythtv-users] Mythtv screensaver behaviour

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 25 22:34:22 UTC 2015

Happy Holidays all!!

I have been running myth for a while and have never got screensavers
to work in a satisfactory way.

I run fedora, some frontends have nvidia cards so run as vdpau, some
use builtin Intel GPU and use vaapi.

If I turn on screensaver and power management.....

screensaver (just blank screen) after 15 minutes idle.......monitor
goes into power save mode after 30.

On all the frontends if I run VLC (configured same as above) and a
video is running then the screensavers and power save mode do not kick
in.....I don't have to do anything.

On myth the screensavers/power save mode DO kick in so there has to be
some activity every 14 minutes.

What I ideally want is.....

If there's a video running (either video or recording) then I want the
screensaver/powersave to stay inactive.....but if a myth menu screen
is up then screensaver to work as it would normally.

There's loads of conflicting information about configuring x or
xorg.conf....but frankly why can't the app behave as vlc does and
require no use tinkering?