[mythtv-users] MythTV BackEnd system HDD to smaller SSD Ubuntu

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 00:42:44 UTC 2015

Hoi Mike's,

Thursday, December 24, 2015, 1:23:30 AM, you wrote:

> Goal:  replace existing BackEnd 976 GB system drive with
> 240 GB SSD.

> Ubuntu 14.04   MythTV 0.27.5-70-g4g160da

> system drive has 24 GB used, rest free (Ext4)

> The OCZ Vector 180 SSD came with an activation key for Acronis
> 2014.  Downloaded Acronis True Image and installed it on my
> Windows 10 PC.  Made a USB stick with Acronis True Image.

> Shut down the BackEnd.  Disconnected the recording disk drives
> on the BackEnd.  Plugged in the USB stick and SSD.  Booted True
> Image and told it to copy the HDD to the SSD.  It churned and
> said it failed.  Tried again and it said the source HDD was
> damaged (?!).

> Removed the SSD and put the BackEnd back together.  It booted
> fine and SMART says the HDD is OK.

> I found CloneZilla, but the documentation says the destination
> drive must be equal to or larger than the source.

> 1. Is there a drive clone tool that will intelligently copy my
> mostly-empty HDD to the smaller SSD?

> 2. Does it make more sense to just put the SSD in the BackEnd,
> do a clean install of Ubuntu 14.04, install MythTV, and restore
> the DataBase from the HDD?  If so, what else do I need to copy
> from the BackEnd system HDD to the SSD to make it look the same
> to the DataBase and FrontEnds?

It's Linux not Windows, so you could simply copy the content of the
old partition to the new one with 'cp -rpd'
You have to update fstab to point to the right partitions and
install/update your bootloader afterwards. For the bootloader you boot
from a stick or CD/DVD, mount the new partition(s), chroot into the
mountpoint and install the bootloader. Of cause you have to watch some
things on the way, but basically it is as simple as that. I've done it
many times.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven