[mythtv-users] MythTV BackEnd system HDD to smaller SSD Ubuntu

Mike's JdJ stepsisters at comcast.net
Thu Dec 24 00:23:30 UTC 2015

Goal:  replace existing BackEnd 976 GB system drive with
240 GB SSD.

Ubuntu 14.04   MythTV 0.27.5-70-g4g160da

system drive has 24 GB used, rest free (Ext4)

The OCZ Vector 180 SSD came with an activation key for Acronis
2014.  Downloaded Acronis True Image and installed it on my
Windows 10 PC.  Made a USB stick with Acronis True Image.

Shut down the BackEnd.  Disconnected the recording disk drives
on the BackEnd.  Plugged in the USB stick and SSD.  Booted True
Image and told it to copy the HDD to the SSD.  It churned and
said it failed.  Tried again and it said the source HDD was
damaged (?!).

Removed the SSD and put the BackEnd back together.  It booted
fine and SMART says the HDD is OK.

I found CloneZilla, but the documentation says the destination
drive must be equal to or larger than the source.

1. Is there a drive clone tool that will intelligently copy my
mostly-empty HDD to the smaller SSD?

2. Does it make more sense to just put the SSD in the BackEnd,
do a clean install of Ubuntu 14.04, install MythTV, and restore
the DataBase from the HDD?  If so, what else do I need to copy
from the BackEnd system HDD to the SSD to make it look the same
to the DataBase and FrontEnds?