[mythtv-users] FE cannot connect to database

Josh Rosenberg mythtv at desh.info
Wed Dec 23 14:30:15 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 7:00 AM,  <mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org> wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 17:04:26 +0000
> From: Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com>
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] FE cannot connect to database
>
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 6:02 PM Josh Rosenberg <mythtv at desh.info> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 7:00 AM,  <mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org> wrote:
>> > Message: 7
>> > Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 16:51:56 -0600
>> > From: Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com>
>> > To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>> > Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] FE cannot connect to database

>> updated. The bind-address=0.0.0.0 was commented out though.
>> >
>> > Sounds like the cause of the problem. Unless you've got a backup of that
>> file to check,
>> > that's as far as I know how to go. Since your FEs were connecting, the #
>> most likely
>> > wasn't there before the  update. I'd remove it and restore my.cnf to the
>> package
>> > manager's version (so you won't get bugged about it if a new my.cnf is
>> released.)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Bill
>>
>> I just had this problem today too. A routine apt-get upgrade (though
>> the first in a month or so) prompted me to keep or overwrite my
>> mythtv.cnf. Here is the one that I believe I had beforehand (though I
>> can't verify this) :
>> [mysqld]
>> #bind-address=0.0.0.0
>> default_storage_engine=MyISAM
>>
>> I told apt to keep mine in place, but then things broke. So I switched
>> to the one that Apt wanted to give me:
>> [mysqld]
>> #bind-address=::
>> max_connections=100
>>
>> But that was broken too. And then, after reading this list, I told
>> mythbuntu-control-centre to re-enable mysql, which fixed the problem.
>> Here is my file now:
>> [mysqld]
>> bind-address=0.0.0.0
>> max_connections=100
>>
>> So I'm not sure what went wrong, but it's something with the
>> packages/sources, since I'm not used to being prompted about any
>> configuration changes when doing an ordinary apt-get upgrade (as
>> opposed to dist-upgrade). Anyway, it's fixed now for me, but I bet
>> there are a bunch of Mythbuntu users out there experiencing similar
>> issues.
>>
>> Josh
>>

> Josh,
>
> Can you let me know what is in /etc/mysql/my.cnf for bind-address?
> --
> Thomas Mashos

Thomas:

Here is a snippet from /etc/mysql/my.cnf:

# Instead of skip-networking the default is now to listen only on
# localhost which is more compatible and is not less secure.
bind-address        = 127.0.0.1

I'm almost certain I've never edited this file by hand; all changes to
it must have been made by the package manager (or possibly
mythbuntu-control-centre, I guess).

For what it's worth, I currently run a single combined
frontend/backend, though in the settings, I reference the master
backend by its 192.168.x.x address, not by 127.0.0.1.

Josh