[mythtv-users] OT: Random system freezes -- clueless

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Dec 19 02:23:01 UTC 2015

On 12/18/2015 01:56 PM, Mike Thomas wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 18:31:02 -0600
> Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My Myth system has a bad habit of freezing, except when I'm doing
>> something on it.  It will automatically wake up to record something
>> and shutdown once it is finished and everything works.  But
>> sometimes... The system just stops in its tracks, like it hit a halt
>> instruction.  There are no errors reported in any of the log files
>> in /var/log, /var/log/lightdm, /var/log/upstart, /var/log/mysql,
>> or /var/log/mythtv.  They just stop dead in their tracks and I have
>> to hit the reset button or cycle the power to get it going again.
>> Not even installing the watchdog package and configuring it rescues
>> the system.  I get lots of watchdog check messages in the logs right
>> up until the system freezes in its tracks at some random time hours
>> or days after the last incident.  I've run memtest for hours with no
>> problems reported -- like overnight plus half the next day.  I've run
>> disk diagnostics and swapped disks (within limits).  I've tried most
>> things I found on my copy of the Ultimate Boot CD.  All to say I've
>> found no smoking gun.  So, like I said, I'm clueless.  I've ordered a
>> different motherboard, but I'm only shooting in the dark with that.
>>
>> Anyone have something better than a wild guess about what's going on?
>
> Dear Craig,
>
> Hardware or software? That is the question.
>
> I doubt it is a hardware problem because these are actually very rare. I
> have a lot of machines and I flog them hard. Also many of them are very
> old indeed (10, 15 years even). Of course I have experienced hardware
> problems but they are usually quite easy to diagnose. Try this general
> check list:
>
> 1. Are your hard discs shagged? I have one go every year on average but
> then I have a lot of hard discs (and I flog them). Some drives last for
> 2 years, some for 5, some for 20 years and still going strong. It
> usually obvious when your disc has gone; you will get IO errors all
> over the place.
>
> 2. Is the chassis clean? It is a good idea to clean out all the filth
> every year or so. You should remove the fans and clean them with a
> cloth. It's fiddly work but it will keep even cheapo fans going for 10
> years. You can blow out the crud from the fins on the heat sinks. Also
> make sure you open up the PSU and clean its fans. Make sure you have
> let the PSU discharge for several minutes so you don't get a shock.
>
> Unless you can see burn marks on a component in the PSU it is very
> unlikely to be at fault. I've had more PSUs than I care to remember but
> they are virtually indestructible. Furthermore modern mobos generate 1V
> from an unregulated 12V supply. There could be a problem with the power
> supply circuit on the mobo but unless you can see burn marks I doubt
> it would be the culprit. It wouldn't have left the factory.
>
> Similarly I don't believe that overheating on the motherboard is a
> [...]

Craig, you do not give your version of myth, but in the past I have had
exactly the same thing. After having done the first half of Mike's list,
I strongly suspect a race condition, as nothing but the big red switch
would recover. An active ssh session into the box would become locked up
too. Recent master branch code has not exhibited this problem (last 4
months or so).

The only thing which Mike missed, is checking for a full partition
*including /tmp*. Having this happen on a separate /var partition just
slows the box waaayyy down: your box on Prozac!  But you can even ssh in
and just kill some log files to recover. Same thing with a chock full
/video partition.

Having this happen on '/' (because /var got hit by a runaway) just kills
the box. (Ok *maybe* it will respond sometime, but my patience never
lasted that long. If it feels like a big-red-switch hang, it IS a
big-red-switch hang!)
An overfull /tmp will thrash your swap, but the box should still run
reasonably. It is /var/log which is your problem spot. (And why /,
/home. and /var are separate partitions on my boxen.

Geoff

.