[mythtv-users] Comcast grounding and channel lineup questions

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Fri Dec 18 19:05:01 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-12-18 at 16:04 +0000, David Williams wrote:

> I know this is partially off topic. We still have one small analog tv
> in the kitchen and the tuner wall wart died so I called Comcast. In
> the past I would have simply exchanged it myself but Comcast closed
> the local office and rather than drive 45 minutes each way I called
> for service. My system incorporates both an Hdhomerun cable card Prime
> and an Hdhomerun OTA Connect. When the tech saw the antenna he
> officiously declined my report the inputs don't merge and insisted
> upon checking the wiring to ensure the two don't intersect. He noticed
> the splitter was an “older model” and insisted upon swapping it for a
> new unit. While there he disconnected the ground lead which I had
> running from both the Comcast splitter and the OTA lead to a copper
> water pipe. Regrettably, he wasn't very forthcoming with information.
> So my question is this: Would I be well-served to reconnect the ground
> lead since the new splitter does have a connection for a ground lead?
>

> FWIW, he was clueless about Mythv; moreover, he came across as miffed
> that I employ a cable card system. He noted that there are probably
> fewer than ten cable card customers in my 35K population downstate
> Illinois city. He remarked “we had a migration recently and you won't
> get HD anymore with a cable card.” Which is inaccurate. On another
> note, I played around a bit with KODI on a Raspberry Pi a while back
> and noticed that it accessed OTA but not Comcast content. The problem
> was resolved when I rescanned the channel lineup via the Silicondust
> website. I assume this had something to do with the infamous Comcast
> channel migration but the fix I stumbled into was really just a lucky
> WAG and I'd like to know if my assumption is correct.

In this corner of world using water pipes for earth-bonding has been
illegal for last 50 yrs.
There are lots of good reasons of safety reliability testability etc.
Metal pipes get replaced with sections of plastic, connect to high
leakage immersion water heating elements, connect to gas pipes &
external piping. Metal pipes are meant to be bonded to earth system.
Here metal water pipes & metal sinks-tubs-benches shower trays should be
bonded to the earth bonding electrode system although most of them
aren't..

I believe high lightening strike areas (like parts of US) have more
strict rules, for instance bonding antenna coaxial cables etc.