[mythtv-users] Random system freezes -- clueless

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 15:33:06 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 9:06 PM, Mike Hodson <mystica at gmail.com> wrote:

> And if youve tried memtest86 for maybe 1 pass... errors in ram can
> sometimes elude detection for many many passes, yet still cause daily
> problems. Literally it took 17 hours for my system to show even 1
> error. another 3 hours to show the second.  Of note, trying to compile
> GCC caused the compile to fail in many differing points of the
> compile, nearly always internal compiler exceptions; a few times the
> system hung.

I had a RAM issue with my old Athlon system way way back. I had started
with 256 MB of RAM, and had slowly added and replaced until I ended up with
768 MB. It was a lot back then :)

The various RAM modules didn't play nicely together. The system ran rock
stable for three weeks at a time (I rarely rebooted), and then would
suddenly start having issues with memory corruption (applications crashing,
etc). I had to power off, then back on and I was good for another three
weeks.

It took a while to finally figure that out though. Memtest86 would run
clean if it was run before the three week mark. After the three weeks, when
the corruption problems appeared, running Memtest86 would show all sorts of
RAM issues. I took the RAM in to the computer shop and (of course) it
tested clean in their rig....

aaron