[mythtv-users] Watch Recordings doesn't list size of single recording

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Thu Dec 17 03:05:28 UTC 2015

Hi!

On 12/12/2015 3:54 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Sorry, I know almost doesn't do it, but this is a string included in a
> default variable. I don't even know if those get translated.
> While 'minutes' would become 'minuten' in Dutch the abbreviation 'min'
> would stay the same as in all Western languages I know, that's what I
> meant.

No problem...

> By the way if any assistance is needed in the Dutch translations??

Seeing the state in which that translation is (overall a quite low
percentage of translations done) on
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Translation#Translation_maintainers.2Fcontributors
I would say that the current maintainer definitely needs help.

He even said so in the translation comments:

"Any help or coordinated effort is most welcome."

You are welcome to contact him to offer your help if you want. If you
don't get any reply you can contact me at this email address or
nriendeau at mythtv.org .

> Feel free to ask.

If you are interested to help then please contact Jos (see
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Translation#Translation_maintainers.2Fcontributors
) I am sure he would be grateful and so would I...

 > I have seen occasional weird tranlations, in part
> due to different word ordering or as you say a wrong guess as to its
> intended meaning.

Yes, we all make those which is why we have to revalidate our
translations in context as much as possible after they are done...

This is not always possible though because we sometimes have to
translate things we cannot actually test.

We are lucky for one of the translations I work on (I work on the
French, US English and Canadian English translations), the other person
who works on it is in France so he has different tuner hardware than I
do (I am in Canada, NTSC/ATSC land...) so we can actually with different
tuner hardware.

> I know how difficult it is, especially with English
> being almost the shortest language around.

Yes, that is definitely a biiiiiig problem...

> And I do know code although no C++.

Me too which is why most of my implication in MythTV is on the
translation side of things... This is a place where I can help *right
now*...

I can code a little in C++ but I am not as comfortable in that language
as I am in the languages I normally use...

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nicolas