[mythtv-users] Comcast goes Mpeg4 in Atlanta

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 16:30:43 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Michael Wisniewski <mikewiz38 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The other thing I've been doing is running
> channel/frequency scans from the command line and doing a diff.  I'm
> assuming that once the mpeg4 channels start popping, the existing lineup
> will change.

I am pretty sure the lineup (when the term means the virtual
channel number) will not change.  It is not clear that the freq/program
needs to change.  Only the encoding (which is essentially just
settings on their encoder) needs to change for this step (and
small steps are usually better than big ones), so their first step
may be to leave the freq/program alone.  That said, there are still
follow-on changes.  Comcast will be moving the freq/programs
around (including re-packing) to make room for future new linear
channels, and freeing up sufficient frequencies for Docsis 3.1.
Since Comcast (reserves the right) to do that all the time, and
does do so occasionally as channels get added/deleted, I would
expect that as a follow-on step down the line.  And there is still
the MCLU to happen some day (which changes the virtual
channel lineup number).

As to the "when", only Comcast knows for sure, and they tend
not to share well.

For what it is worth, the new channel map has been sent out in
(at least parts of) the SF Bay Area.  Channel 1995 is now in the
map, although a quick check indicates that the video to be a
mpeg2 encoded stream (which makes it uninteresting).